I'm a software engineer, information designer, and product lead, and I develop tools for the web.
I specialize in writing intuitive interfaces in React, but I've also deployed production backends, designed APIs, and configured infrastructure on AWS and Azure. As a team lead, I've built products through careful user research and design.
I currently work at Development Seed.
- From January 2014 to present
- Development Seed Senior Software Engineer/Product Lead Washington, DC
- From October 2010 to January 2014
- Chronicle of Philanthropy Graphics Journalist Washington, DC
- From June to Sept, 2010
- Audrey Web Production Intern Los Angeles, CA
- Technical design leadership
- User research, wireframing, and information design
- Web component rendering and MVC libraries e.g. React, Django
- Client-side vector/GIS rendering libraries e.g. D3, Mapbox GL
- REST concepts, API design and implementation, Postgres
- Serverless infrastructure concepts and implementation in AWS, Azure
- Washington Post Presidential Elections
- Project lead, front-end build
- Launched dynamic, compelling coverage to millions of newswatchers on election day 2016.
- Oversaw development of data pipeline and API capable of handling enormous traffic spikes.
- Built reusable, responsive visual components integrated seamlessly into washingtonpost.com.
- Leveraged and extended Mapbox GL JS to render custom projections and real-time data.
- Red Cross GO
- Project lead, infrastructure, front-end/back-end build
- Launched platform to modernize data management practices at the largest humanitarian organization.
- Designed and deployed cloud-native infrastructure architecture on Microsoft Azure.
- Conducted extensive in-person user research to tailor front-end functionality.
- Urban Change Explorer
- Project lead, infrastructure, front-end build
- Created an urban intelligence tool for city planners to track urban change using satellite data.
- Developed map interface to evaluate change detection outputs against satellite and drone imagery.
- Built extensible tippecanoe-based vector tile pipeline capable of fast, incremental processing.
- Front-end/back-end build
- Deployed OpenStreetMap (OSM) stack for collaborative road asset management in the Philippines.
- Built and released Macrocosm, a Node.js port of the OSM Rails API v0.6.
- Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWSNET)
- Project lead
- Consulted to improve code quality, documentation, and development infrastructure.
- Implemented continuous integration, end-to-end integration test suite using cypress.
- Cumulus Dashboard
- Front-end build
- Built the front-end interface to a cloud-native satellite imagery pipeline for NASA.
- Obama Whitehouse Tweets
- Rendered a k-means clustering of Obama tweets at the invitation of the White House press office.
- Public Appearances
- I've spoken at a number of conferences, mostly relating to journalism, open data, and geospatial technology.
- Most recently, I presented my work on tracking urban change at FOSS4G in Tanzania.
- Lifestyle Choices
- I live and work in San Francisco, CA.
- I obtained a Bachelor's of Arts from UCLA in 2009. My grades were ok.